Monday, July 4, 2011

Life, Liberty, & The Pursuit of Happiness

I wanted to share something that my husband wrote today that really touched my heart this 4th of July. Hope everyone had a great one! Here it is...

I see the temptation this year to look negatively upon the state of our nation. Unemployment, gas prices and the national deficit are high, while morale and confidence are low. Our brave troops fight abroad in 3 different conflicts. News headlines often include words such as “scandal,” “doubt,” or “frustration.” The tension is almost palpable, and people seem angry. 
But then I think about how easy it is for me to get in my car and drive as far as my wallet can take me. If I want, I can see deserts, mountains, oceans, forests, plains and rivers. 5 minutes away, I can get whatever groceries I want. Red, ...white or purple grapes; iceberg, romaine or arugula lettuce; I can get it all, right down the road, in less time than it would take to prepare a meal. I have water, hot or cold, whenever I need/want it. And come to think of it, I have only lived without electricity for a couple of hours in the last year.
And then it hits me…I am free, and I am blessed.

Of all the places I could have been born, why was it here? Why do I get to enjoy all that comes with being an American?

I guess that doesn’t really matter…

But what does matter, is that I do not take it for granted; that I do not squander a gift that those without would kill for, and millions throughout the history of mankind have died for.

What matters is gratitude.

What matters is humility.

I am not entitled to anything more than my unalienable rights, among which are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. All of the other advantages I enjoy can fade away as easily as the appreciation I know I must preserve.

I love this country. God bless us, America. We need it always. 
-John Perkins


No comments:

Post a Comment